Now Hiring: Volunteer and Communications Manager
Position: Volunteer and Communications Manager (Link to application form)
Reports to: Executive Director
Schedule: Full-time (30-40 hours) during general business hours with some planned weekend and weeknight shifts each month. The position will begin as mostly remote but will transition to a mostly in-person role within the next year. We believe in work-life balance and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with the true hours worked.
Position type: Full Time/ Exempt
Benefits: 10 paid holidays, $500 monthly health care reimbursement, medical and dental health program, paid time off (PTO)
Start date: We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Our first review will take place on November 30th, and our preference is for a start date in January 2024.
PORCH Chapel Hill-Carrboro fights hunger by mobilizing neighbors, creating community, and providing fresh, healthy food. Our strategic plan transitions us from a volunteer-run organization to a paid staff model to increase our support for Chapel Hill-Carrboro children and families.
PORCH is searching for someone to coordinate and further expand our extensive volunteer network and to increase our engaging and effective communication with stakeholders. The ideal candidate will contribute to strengthening deep roots within our community, both internally and externally. Adaptability, a welcoming spirit, inclusive engagement skills, strong written and oral communication skills, and a passion for food justice and improving our local community will be key to this role. Those with expertise from lived experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Monitor the main CHC@porchcommunities.org email
- Design an organization-wide communications strategy, draft content, and coordinate social media
- Coordinate between staff and external communications contractor
- Maintain shared calendar of PORCH events, activities, and key dates
- Maintain a calendar of community events and coordinate PORCH engagement
- Use Canva and other tools to create compelling visual content for reports, handouts, and posts and investigate use of additional internal and external tools and technology
- Check organization’s physical mailbox multiple times each week
- Assist with development-related writing as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Volunteer Management (50%)
- Respond to all volunteer inquiries and provide tailored options for engagement
- Lead Neighborhood Coordinator (NC) engagement
- Create engaging volunteer roles and responsibilities, cultivate lead volunteers, and lead volunteer risk management
- Advertise volunteer opportunities, create easy-to-use volunteer sign ups, recruit volunteers, and monitor shift coverage
- Create and lead engaging volunteer orientations, volunteer shifts, and recognition events
- Create a system of tracking volunteer hours
- Serve as main contact and support for food drives
- Lead high school and collegiate engagement
- Other duties as assigned
Organizational Operations (10%)
- Track and submit expenses and timesheets according to deadlines and communicated procedures
- Actively participate in regular staff meetings and collaborate with staff in planning and strategic decision making
- Engage in deep professional development
- Support other operations and roles as needed
What We’re Looking For
- 2+years experience working with volunteer management, communications, grassroots organizations, community organizing, and/or a closely-related field
- Fluency in written and spoken Spanish (strongly preferred, not required)
- Ability to lead large groups and provide a welcoming, affirming experience
- Ability to remain flexible, adapt to changing priorities and unexpected situations, and solve problems with creativity, good judgment, and awareness
- Ability to shift communication styles to fit the needs of a wide range of cultures, people, and organizations
- Knowledge of and commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice principles
- Passion for creating community and improving systems to better serve our participants
- Understanding of the root causes of food security and a commitment to systems change
- Self-motivated and self-directed with minimal day-to-day instruction
- Strong written and oral communication skills and ability to create emails, newsletters, flyers, website content, informational and persuasive materials, policies, and procedures
- Proficient use of Excel, Word, PowerPoint, email, or other similar programs
- Excellent organization skills and an eye for tracking details, improving efficiencies, and managing logistics
- Working knowledge of volunteer risk mitigation and risk management
- Love of continuous learning, strong problem-solving skills, and ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Commitment to the values and mission of PORCH CHC
- Ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; the ability to frequently stand, walk, stoop, kneel, bend, crouch, reach, and manipulate (lift, carry, move) medium to heavy weights of 30-40 pounds; good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate equipment; the ability to spend great lengths of time working on a computer, reading from a computer screen, and talking and hearing on the phone, in person, or in virtual meetings.
A criminal history background check will be conducted on the final candidate prior to beginning employment. Prior justice system involvement will not automatically eliminate a candidate from consideration.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PORCH Chapel Hill-Carrboro is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other class protected by law. Assistance and/or reasonable accommodations during the application process are available to individuals upon request. To request assistance or accommodation, please contact email@example.com.