December 2023: The Latest from PORCH
- We will start 2024 with over 600 families enrolled – the highest number of families in our 13-year history! Help us say yes to all of the 2,450 individuals – including 1,385 children – who will depend on us each month. Learn more.
- Exciting news: We’re hiring a volunteer and communications manager! We’re looking for someone to coordinate and further expand our extensive volunteer network and to increase our engaging and effective communication with stakeholders. The ideal candidate will contribute to strengthening deep roots within our community, both internally and externally. Adaptability, a welcoming spirit, inclusive engagement skills, strong written and oral communication skills, and a passion for food justice and improving our local community will be key to this role. Learn more and apply.
- A big thank you to Ribbon Communications for hosting a food drive to benefit PORCH! Food drives are an easy and incredibly effective way to help PORCH! Find a list of our most needed items, a promotional flyer, and some instructions on our website. Use a designated tub/bin/basket to set up your food drive collection site. Choose a high- traffic location, whether that’s your front porch, office, neighborhood clubhouse, or gym. Learn more.
- Round Up for PORCH kicks off on Dec. 1 and will run through the end of the month. Please shop at Weaver Street Market and round up to the next dollar for PORCH! Proceeds from the Carrboro and Southern Village stores benefit PORCH Chapel Hill-Carrboro, and proceeds from the Hillsborough store benefit PORCH Hillsborough. Weaver Street Market has provided $395,637 for PORCH Chapel Hill-Carrboro over the past eight years thanks to the success of Round Up!
- “When I go grocery shopping and see the steady rise in groceries while hearing about food insecurity in our county, I honestly don’t know how families do it! It makes me sad to see the highest prices on the healthy food along with the lowest prices on the ultra-processed food! I love to see that big box of fruits/vegetables at distribution. I believe that we should be taking care of each other in whatever way we can.” Read our latest blog to get to know volunteers Mike and MaryAnne Pilcher. We are so lucky to have them on our team!
- Thank you to Berkshire Hathaway in Meadowmont for collecting food for PORCH! Pictured is Whitney Derfuss.
- Azlynn Hamlett and Dannielle Fusco from Timber Hollow Apartments delivered food from their community food drive. We are so appreciative!