Every penny out of every dollar in individual donations to PORCH goes toward the purchase of fresh fruits and vegetables, milk, eggs, and chicken for our Food for Families (FFF) program. Families participating in FFF are living in poverty and have been identified by school social workers as being especially at risk of food insecurity. Our bags of fresh food typically last 7–10 days, depending on the size of the family. For many of the families we serve, PORCH’s supplemental food can mean the difference between a healthy and a skipped meal.
There are three ways to make a cash donation to support our fresh food program:
- Through your neighborhood coordinator. A complete listing of neighborhoods can be found here.
- By mailing a check made payable to PORCH to:
PORCH Chapel Hill/ Carrboro
P.O. Box 16363
Chapel Hill, NC 27516-6363
- With an online donation here.
Here are the food items most commonly requested by the local pantries that PORCH serves:
- Low-sugar cereals
- Cans of tuna and chicken
- Cans of fruits and vegetables of all kinds
- Healthy snacks such as applesauce, raisins, peanuts, granola bars, peanut butter crackers, peanuts, etc.
- Pasta and pasta sauce
- Bags of rice and beans of all kinds
- Plastic containers of peanut butter and jelly
- Mac & cheese
Click here for a listing of neighborhood coordinators picking up food donations from your neighbors’ porches.
Click here for a listing of the local food pantries served through your generous porch donations.
PORCH is most grateful for these community partners who participate so generously in our community-wide hunger relief effort each and every month:
- Book Harvest: donates free books each month to any child participating in our Food for Families program.
- Farmer Foodshare: provides access to surplus produce from local farmers at discounted prices.
- Harris Teeter: provides bundles of donated paper bags and discounted prices for produce and milk.
- Maple View Farm: donates 60 gallons of milk each month.
- St. Thomas More Catholic Church: serves as PORCH's staging area for its Food for Pantries program each and every month.
- Transplanting Traditions Community Farm: Community Farm provides traditional vegetables and herbs, and eggs to the refugee families we serve from Burma. Local refugee farmers are paid to grow produce that is donated to PORCH.
- Weaver Street Market: leverages its Community Food Partnership which has raised $130,000 for PORCH over the past three years. Weaver Street Market helps stretch the value of raised funds by purchasing fresh produce at cost for PORCH, packing the produce, and delivering it to PORCH delivery sites each month.
Our Food for Schools program provides healthy snack foods to each of the 19 schools in Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools, the pre-kindergarten program, and several of the district’s after-school programs. A business sponsorship to fund healthy snacks at one school for the entire school year is $750. Sponsors are recognized on PORCH’s website, through social media, with decals on storefronts, and in PTA newsletters. For more information about the program and sponsorship opportunities, email Becky Hebert.
Here is a listing of business sponsors for our Food for Schools program for the 2019-20 school year:
- Amy Guskiewicz, Realtor, Fonville Morisey
- Caren Parker, Terra Nova Global Properties
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro Sunrise Rotary Club
- Cornerstone Family Dentistry
- Donald and Mary McDonnell
- Elefante Financial Services
- Ellis Family Dentistry
- Erika Buchholtz, Erika & Co. For Your Home
- Farmhouse Lawn and Landscape
- Frederick G. Lehmann, DDS PA
- Great Clips
- Holy Trinity Lutheran Church
- Italian Pizzeria III
- Kitchen & Bath Galleries
- Lloyd Tire & Alignment
- Martha Newport Realty Group
- Meadowmont Dentistry
- Mediterranean Deli
- Rice's Glass Company
- Scroggs Family
- Southern Village Pharmacy
- The Christine Khoury Team, Coldwell Banker
- The Parlour at Manns Chapel
- Tony Hall and Associates - Residential Real Estate Sales
- Windaco Properties
If you have donated food or made other in-kind donations to PORCH and would like a tax receipt, please click here to download the form. Or, email us at email@example.com and we will mail the form to you. Tax receipts for all cash donations are mailed in January for the prior year’s donations.