November 2022: The Latest from PORCH
- PORCH has been selected to be an “anchor organization” at the Thanks+Giving Food Truck Rodeo on Nov. 13, 11am-3pm, 1714 Legion Road, Chapel Hill. We’ll have fun games for kids (potato sack race, ring toss, bowling for cans). Plus, we’ll collect donations for our most needed items: low-sugar cereals and oatmeal; 1 lb. and 2 lb. bags of rice; plastic containers of peanut butter and jelly; healthy snacks such as applesauce cups, granola bars, crackers, raisins; cans of fruits and vegetables; pasta sauce; cans of hearty soups and stews; cans of tuna and chicken; pasta; bags of beans; boxed mac & cheese. Hope to see you there!
- Tabitha Elien and her son, Joshua, collected food for PORCH as they trick or treated!
- We were invited to the Weaver Street Market CoOp Fair recently. We depend on WSM in so many ways. Their Round Up fundraiser has covered $33,000 of our produce costs so far in 2022! We are also grateful for the help of their staff: Carolyn Twesten, who places our food orders, Errol Rainey, who delivers our food, and Greg Christo, who volunteers at our packing events and is a key member of our team. We are grateful for these incredible community partners! Weaver Street Market’s Round Up fundraiser for PORCH kicked off Nov. 1 and will run through Jan. 31! Please shop at WSM and Round Up for PORCH! Proceeds from the Carrboro and Southern Village stores benefit PORCH Chapel Hill-Carrboro and proceeds from the Hillsborough store benefit PORCH Hillsborough.
- Pictured are three members of McDougle Middle School’s National Junior Honor Society and their advisor Catherine Sweat. Students at MMS donated a whole carload of hygiene products. These will be added to our Food For Families bags and given to local pantries this month!
- Family bonding and volunteering rolled into one! We love it! Logan and Jaden volunteered at our PORCH sort last month, as did mother-daughter duo Katie and Ada.
- Thanks to farmer Jim Sander and his crew at Wildflower Lane Farm for donating and delivering 190 bags of lettuce for our families last month. We are grateful for meaningful partnerships like this one, helping us provide more fresh, healthy produce to the more than 500 families we serve.