January 2023: The Latest from PORCH
- Our thanks to Alliance of Youth Leaders in the United States for volunteering!
- Shake Shack’s opening in Chapel Hill at the end of December resulted in $1,400 and 54 bags (about 1,000 lbs.) of non-perishable donations for PORCH! Check out this news coverage from The Local Reporter.
- Let’s hear it for volunteer Mike, who made a lot of trips from the parking lot into the sorting space, bringing mountains of food donations.
- Mitch Horwitz and his colleagues at Duke’s Department of Hematologic Malignancies and Cellular Therapy collected food for PORCH last month. We are grateful for their generosity!
- We’d like to thank Blue Cross Blue Shield for providing each of our participating families with four individually packed, delicious meals this month. Doug Weaver and Matt Carrier, from JLL Real Estate, helped deliver these meals.
- Carol Lucas has been a steadfast volunteer for PORCH for years. She’s the driving force behind our non-perishable food sorting and packing events. This month, we welcomed Mike Lucas, Carol’s husband, to the PORCH family. Mike is recently (semi) retired, and Carol quickly found a way for him to use his free time to help feed our neighbors in need! Thank you, Lucas family!
- We appreciate our partnership with Produce Box. This month, they delivered 515 large boxes of beautiful fruits and vegetables for us to distribute to our families!