August 2022: The Latest from PORCH
- We have increased the balance on each of the monthly grocery store gift cards that we send to our fresh Food for Families program participants to $60, knowing that the money simply doesn’t go as far as it did even weeks ago, and we are working to distribute more seasonal fresh produce, including local berries, peaches, and corn. Thank you to our volunteers, donors, and partners who make this work possible! Together, we truly make a difference in our community.
- “[PORCH] is a cause where you will see immediately your effect – if you do just one distribution or one sorting. We all need to see our action in the world. … Because it’s so community based, you know that in helping someone now, if you need the help, PORCH will be there.” Wise words from the vice chair of our board, Lenore Jones-Peretto! We are so glad she is part of our leadership team. Get to know Lenore by reading the latest feature on our blog.
- “We love the milk, eggs, and fresh fruits and veggies. That box is our favorite part.” A Food for Families participant shared that lovely message with us. Did you know that through PORCH Cooks, we provide recipes and nutritional information to our families each month?
- Green and glorious! Look at this divine from Transplanting Traditions! We love distributing locally grown, traditional Asian vegetables and herbs to our families from Burma, thanks to our partnership with Transplanting Traditions and a grant from Duke Doing Good. Read more about our partnership with Transplanting Traditions.
- A group of students from UNC’s School of Medicine had a simple but effective service project this summer: creating double bags for PORCH. Double bagging is essential to us because these bags are used to pack the food that our Food For Families participants receive. More than 500 local families participate in our program! The bags are packed full of heavy food, and get moved several times during our sorting and distribution process. We must ensure they don’t rip or tear as they are moved around.